Thursday, September 26, 2024

patio

EXT. PATIO TABLE - NIGHT

Hunter, Chloe and Tom around the table post-meal, silverware on cleaned plates, glasses of water and the pitcher.  MONSOON CLOUDS obscure the moon. DISTANT THUNDER.

HUNTER: So Tom, do you and Wanda have any plans for your twenty-fifth?

TOM: Goin' to Hawaii.

CHLOE: Cool. Which island?

TOM: Oahu. Stayin' the first few nights in Honolulu, doin' the Waikiki thing, and the last few on what's called the North Shore.

CHLOE: Sweet. 

HUNTER: Have you been before?

TOM: No sir. First time for both of us. Y'all prob'ly been.

Chloe nods.

HUNTER: We have. 

CHLOE: Are you excited?

TOM: We are. Not so much about the flyin' part but that's part a the package.

CHLOE: Doing a luau?

TOM: Luau, sunset cruise, ridin' horses on the beach. She don't believe it but I'm takin' a surfin' lesson.

CHLOE: Yay.

TOM: I'm sure I'll be fallin' off before I get the hang of it, but I'm guess' it's a softer landin' than comin' off a horse. Far as I can tell Waikiki's a good place to learn.

CHLOE: It is.

TOM: Do you surf?

Chloe nods.

CHLOE: I learned on Maui.

TOM: How old were ya?

CHLOE: My eleventh birthday.

TOM: Take a lesson?

CHLOE: My mom.

TOM:  Do you surf, Hunter?

HUNTER: I have but it's been awhile. 

TOM: Where do ya surf outta San Luis Obispo?

CHLOE: Pismo mostly. If you know where that is.

TOM:  I do. Was there for a few days about a million years ago.

CHLOE: What were you doing, if you don't mind me asking.

TOM: Y'all can ask me anything ya want, anytime. I was out there doin' a little wranglin' for one a the Hollywood studios.

CHLOE/TOM: Really?

TOM: Not long, couple months. Had a friend who knew a fella and a matter a good timin'. Anyway, me and this friend had some free time, drove up the coast to Pismo Beach, did some fishin', spent a couple nights. 

CHLOE: How old were you?

TOM: Twenty-four. 

NEARER THUNDER.and SUDDEN HARD RAIN   

HUNTER: Here it is.

TOM: Got plenty in Albuquerque last night. Put me right to sleep. Speakin' a which, if y'all'll excuse me, I reckon I'll give my wife and sister the call they're waitin' for and get on to bed.

He stands.

TOM (cont.) Chloe, I sure hope you'll share that casserole recipe 'cause that was delicious. Thank you.

CHLOE: I'll share. After you tell us a little more about your wrangling over breakfast. 

TOM: Deal.  

They shake on it.

CHLOE: Cool.

TOM: Goodnight, y'all.

CHLOE/HUNTER: Goodnight, Tom.

TOM: Can I take them plates in?

CHLOE: No. You're our guest.

TOM: Thank y'all so much for your kindness and generosity.   

HUNTER: Don't forget to sign the guest book.

TOM: I won't.

Hunter and Chloe watch him walk to house, enter kitchen, leave view.

CHLOE: I'm gonna call mom. 

HUNTER: If there's a horse for him and he can and wants to come along -

CHLOE: Yes.

Hunter smiles, gets phone, speaks into it.

HUNTER: Jackie.

Hey.

She's right here with me. 

Can't wait. In fact that's why I called. We have a surprise visitor and are wondering if there's any chance your cousin can find another horse.


[CUT TO:

19 : EXT. HUNTER'S DRIVEWAY - DAY]


.

No comments:

Post a Comment